Beach Florida History & Vintage Photos
page is a community service of Grace Baptist Church
and receives over 80 visitors per month.
Farmers Bank and Trust Co. -
Western Union office at left,
Post Office around corner at right
Beachland Casino - circa 1925
Sleepy Eye Lodge, circa 1925
Vero Del Mar Hotel, Vero
Beach, Florida, circa 1925
Cars in downtown Vero Beach,
Florida, circa 1928
Same building as above, now
called Hotel Del Mar, circa 1940
Atlantic Ocean Beach, Vero Beach, Florida, postcard mailed 1942
Grammar School, Vero Beach,
FL - circa 1940's
Indian River County Court
House, circa 1940's
Business District, circa 1950
Business District, circa 1955
Vero Beach, Florida aerial view, circa 1959
Vero Beach, Florida aerial view, circa 1962
of Vero Beach History
Henry T. Gifford applied to establish a Post Office in his hamlet, it's
new name: Vero
1893 - Henry Flagler’s Florida’s East Coast Railroad begins service
through Indian River County. It allowed fishermen and small fruit and
vegetable growers a way to ship their products to markets in the
1903 - With Henry Flagler opening up access to south Florida with his
railway, the train station was built in the little community of Vero.
1911 - Herman Zeuch, after 3 years of planning and 12 trips to Florida,
began to buy land for Citrus growing and development. He initially
purchased 48,000 acres outside Vero and began draining the land. Zeuch was
in born in Iowa in 1867.
1912 - In September Zeuch formed the Indian River Farms Co. and hired
William H. Kimball of Iowa, a civil engineer to continue the draining the
land. His assistant was Col. R. D. Carter. Over the next few years they
laid out a town site and built the town of Vero, later changed to Vero
Beach. They named the streets after Native Americans.
1919 - Vero was chartered as a town in 1919 and the first bridge was built
connecting the Vero mainland to the barrier island. The first newspaper,
the Vero Press, was organized in March 1919.
1925 - Up until this time Vero was part of St. Lucie County. A desire for
local autonomy moved legislators to push for the formation of a new
county, and so in May 1925, Indian River County was born,
and Vero became the county seat. Vero’s name was officially
changed to "Vero Beach" in 1925. The Dixie Highway was
officially open for traffic in October 1925. This was a new highway for
the burgeoning auto industry that ran from the Canadian border at the
northern tip of Michigan to Tallahassee and Jacksonville, and proceeded
south along the east coast through Vero Beach to Miami. The section of Old
Dixie Hwy. from Sebastian to Ft. Pierce was built by Gifford and Hughes.
In December, the "Vero Beach Journal" newspaper began
1926 - A large Electrical Power Plant was built on the south side of 19th
Pl., between 12th Ct. and the railroad tracks.
1927 - The Vero Beach Journal absorbed the Vero Press,
becoming the Vero Beach Press Journal, produced by the Schumann
1942 - During
World War Two, the U.S. Navy selected the Vero Beach Municipal Airport as
the site for a Naval Air Station and purchased an additional 1,500 acres
surrounding the site. The base was formally commissioned before year's
1948 - Major league baseball came to Vero Beach as Bud Holman, a local
businessman, invited the Brooklyn Dodgers' to take over an unused Naval
air station following World War II. The Dodgers liked the area and so
Dodgertown was born as their winter training grounds.
1957 - Piper Aircraft selected Vero Beach for their research and
development center which was built on part of the grounds of the former
naval air station. In 1961, Piper moved its administrative and
manufacturing operations here after completing building additions.
By 1967, Piper had
expanded its facility to eleven acres and its work force to over 2,000
1965 - The A1A
bridge over Sebastian Inlet was opened in February, 1965.
Recent - In recent years, cultural
opportunities in Vero Beach have increased. The Vero Beach Theatre Guild
started in 1958. The Vero Beach Concert Association began presenting
concerts in 1966. Riverside Theatre opened in 1974, and the Center for the
Arts in 1986.
|This history page is a community
service of Grace Baptist Church of Vero Beach, FL. Our Church was
founded by residents of the Indian River County area who desired to meet
together for worship and the study of God's Word. During the last 2
decades, Grace Baptist has had an involvement in the community life of
the area, and a spiritual impact in the lives of it's people. Today, that
spiritual impact is as vital as ever.
here to Return to Main Page
1285 43rd Ave - Vero Beach, FL 32960